Emergency Medicine Doctor with a Special Interest in Dermatology
Beginning September 1, 2018
Welcome Dr. Ruegner
Rawnica Lyn Ruegner, M.D. is a Board Certified in Emergency Medicine who has worked at Community Regional Medical Center since 2005. With a particular interest in skin issues, Dr. Ruegner is making a move to full-time dermatology. In her work downtown, she has treated countless cases of skin disorders in the emergency department. Whether she’s stitching up a laceration from a trampoline accident, draining an abscess, or treating a life-threatening body rash, Dr. Ruegner is an amazing physician.
When she is not working, Dr. Ruegner is spending time with her husband and their two young boys. They enjoy boating, snow skiing, camping and other outdoor activities. They love to cook which will serve them well as their boys continue to grow.
- Medical School: University of Nevada School of Medicine
- Residency: University of California, San Francisco, Fresno, Emergency Medicine
- Board Certified: Emergency Medicine
- American Board of Emergency Medicine
- Neonatal Resuscitation Program Provider
- California State Medical License
- Drug Enforcement Administration
- Pre-Hospital Base Station Physician
Awards and Recognition
- UCSF Fresno Department of Emergency Medicine, Melissa Dowd Community Service Award, 2018
- Excellence in Teaching Award, UCSF Academy of Medical Educators, 2017
- “Kudos Korner,” Peer to Peer: Multi-Specialty Peer Review Newsletter, 2017
- Best Research Award, CORD Academic Assembly Research and Innovations Forum, 2014
- Fellow of American College of Emergency Physicians, 2013
- Chief Resident, UCSF Fresno Emergency Medicine, 2008
- Intern of the Year, UCSF Fresno Medical Education Program, 2005
- Carl-Elenora Esping Memorial Scholarship, 2002
- Richard Sugden Endowment, 2002
- McCoskey Medical School Scholarship, 2001
- Ruth E. Saviers Memorial Scholarship, 2001
- Ruegner R, Bengiamin R: IVC thrombosis in a post-partum patient with Abdominal Pain, Academic Emergency Medicine, Published Online: 13Apr2010.
- Alhadi SA, Ruegner R, Snowden B, Hendey GW: Urinalysis is an inadequate screen for rhabdomyolysis, American Journal of Emergency Medicine, 2014 Mar;32(3):260-2.
- Armenian P, Olson A, Anaya A, Kurtz A, Ruegner R, Gerona RR: Fentanyl and a Novel Synthetic Opioid U-47700 Masquerading as Street “Norco” in Central California: A Case Report. Annals of Emergency Medicine, 2017 Jan;69(1):87-90
NON-PEER REVIEWED PUBLICATIONS
- 2009 Ruegner RL, Burg MD. Book Review of “Emergency Medicine: PreTest Self Assessment and Review” Rosen AJ, Menlove SH, JEM
BOOKS AND CHAPTERS
- Ruegner, R: Dental Emergencies: Harwood-Nuss Clinical Practice of Emergency Medicine, Sixth Edition. Chapter 62: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins.
- Ruegner R, Alhadi S, Snowden B, Hendey G: Alanine Aminotransferase and Aspartate Aminotransferase As Screening Tests for Rhabdomyolysis. Academic Emergency Medicine 2010;17:S49. Abstract presented at The Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 2010.
- Alhadi S, Ruegner, R, Snowden B, Hendey G: Urinalysis Is an Inadequate Screen for Rhabdomyolysis. Academic Emergency Medicine 2010;17:S45. Abstract presented at The Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Annual Meeting, Phoenix, AZ, 2010.
- Young M, Campagne D, Stroh G, Shalit M, Ruegner R: Modern Stock Evacuation in the Pre-Hospital Setting in Yosemite National Park. Western Society of Academic Emergency Medicine, Long Beach, CA, 2013.
- Sawtelle S, Weichenthal L, Ruegner R: Intern Boot Camp Increases Self-assessment on Six EM Milestones. Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors Academic Assembly, New Orleans, LA, and Western Society of Academic Emergency Medicine, Irvine, CA, 2014.
- Ruegner R, Sawtelle S, Weichenthal L: How do Interns Entering a Variety of Specialties Self-rate on Emergency Medicine Milestones. Council of Emergency Medicine Residency Directors Academic Assembly, New Orleans, LA, and Western Society of Academic Emergency Medicine, Irvine, CA, 2014.
- Weichenthal L, Sawtelle S, Ruegner R: Resident Perception of the Utility and Objectivity of the Evaluation Process Under the Next Accreditation System. ACEP Scientific Assembly, Chicago, IL, 2014.